2008-04-18

GreenMachine compost tumbler

So, we have been using our GreenMachine compost tumbler for almost a week and it definitely seems to be working. We have been turning it about every two days and there seems to be less mass now; also, it looks as if many of the things that we threw in have started decomposing nicely.

We made the mistake of collecting fruit and vegetable waste about a week before the composter arrived and did not vent the storage container. By the time we opened it to put the matter in the composter, it had started to break down anaerobically and smelled awful. But, as of yesterday, the smell in the GreenMachine had changed to something more akin to a yard that had been mowed a couple of days prior - or what I suppose hay smells like, but I'm from the city, so I really wouldn't know. I am assuming that this is a good sign.

I am worried, though, that our mixture might be too acidic - we did put a crushed TUMS in the other day as I heard that that helps, but I do not know of a reliable and reusable way to test the acidity. There are kits that will tell the PH of a soil sample, however I don't want to fork out money for every batch of compost. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Labels: , , ,

Rules

I moderate all comments and reserve the right to remove any post that I deem inappropriate.

Since I support free speech, I do not intend to remove any posts except for spam, which contributes nothing to a discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home